THE ULTIMATE OPPORTUNITY
Imagine a virtual customer support agent that works 24/7, speaks 109 languages, and instantly and intelligently gives customers the answers they’re looking for.
You don’t need to imagine because that’s Ultimate - the world’s most powerful virtual agent platform.
Powered by industry-leading AI, a laser-focus on customer experience and a world-class team across the globe, we’re committed to bringing joy and innovation to customer service. With customers regularly ranking us #1 on G2, it’s no wonder some of the best brands in the world have already scaled their digital support with Ultimate - from Vodafone to Finnair, Gorillas to Zalando.
THE ULTIMATE DESTINATION FOR YOUR CAREER
At Ultimate, careers accelerate. New opportunities arise as the company is constantly evolving and our Finnish, no-ego culture means that everyone has a seat and a voice at the table. You’ll learn from some of the best and brightest minds, as well as having the opportunity to show us your brilliance and see the impact of your work. We truly offer career-defining opportunities.
With hubs in Helsinki, Berlin, New York and London, alongside our ever-growing global remote workforce, you get to choose a working environment that suits you.
And we are proudly diverse - over 35 nationalities make up our worldwide team. Our Nordic ethics have created a culture where we can all lead by example and shape the company - and industry - we want to see, together.
Off the back of our $20M Series A and unstoppable expansion across the globe, there’s never been a better time to join.
As a Senior Backend Engineer for the Virtual Agent team at Ultimate you’ll be an integral part of this team from day one.
You’ll be instrumental in the design and development of our backend, which empowers our customers to create, manage and train virtual agents. Making our AI manageable for our customers is your North Star. You’ll work closely alongside our product manager, machine learning engineers, frontend and wider technical team to build new capabilities, focused on speed and reliability. You’ll own your work, to build, test and iterate quickly, with direct guidance from our VP of Product and CTO
The Ultimate Role
- Maintain and develop the Ultimate platform
- Design and implement complex applications, leveraging our AI to transform the customer service industry.
- Craft and maintain high traffic services and APIs in a team of experienced software engineers.
- Strategize and develop a microservice infrastructure that connects to multiple third party systems.
- Learn and experiment with new tools and technologies to continuously improve our code base and processes and develop new product features.
- Become part of the backend chapter, a community where everyone has an impact on the architecture of the system. From gathering feedback on your designs, educating others about patterns you are an expert in, to owning complex, cross-team tech initiatives.
- Stay up to date on industry trends, helping drive Ultimate to innovate.
- Our backend tech stack: Typescript, mongoDB, elasticsearch, google pub/sub, sentry, redis, kubernetes, terraform, argocd, grafana, GitHub
The Ultimate Profile
We’re looking for a communicative, experienced engineer who takes pride in producing disruptive technology products, built upon logical, simple and effective solutions to complex issues.
- Skills and confidence in writing robust code to build high-performing applications in Node.js or any JVM language.
- Knowledgeable on microservices architectures
- Ability to create fast database queries for large amounts of data.
- Positive, pro-active team player who is passionate about their craft, is keen to take part in product discussions, and cares about helping the team deliver.
- Reliable and transparent engineering, regularly unit testing and documenting your work.
- Drive for continuous learning, with the ability to get up to speed with new systems and concepts quickly.
- Good communication skills, high proficiency in English.
- Experience with NodeJS (ES7), MongoDB, Typescript and Elasticsearch is a plus
Please note, this role can either be based in Berlin or remotely within +/-1h of CET with quarterly visits to the Berlin HQ.
This role has a 1st August 2022 start date.
The Interview Process:
We value transparency, so want to let you know what to expect:
1. Initial meeting with the Talent team - 20 mins
2. Interview with the hiring manager - 60 mins
3. Technical Challenge: you choose either take-home or live
4. Technical Interview
4. Final interview with hiring manager
THE ULTIMATE OFFER
Transparency is important to us, so we want to be clear about what the Ultimate opportunity means for you:
- Generous PTO policy of 28 days per year.
- Truly flexible working. Office, home-based or a mix of both, you work where it works for you. (A stylish, well-lit Kreuzberg-based office).
- We recognise that you bring your best and we show our appreciation with actions, not just words - our competitive salaries and generous stock options program ensures that our success is your success.
- Personal Growth Allowance for you to spend on whatever it is that makes you thrive - whether it’s a coding course, learning a new language or that pottery course that keeps on popping up on your feed, we’ve got you covered.
- Team Events all year long - meat-free BBQs, stand-up paddle boarding, volleyball… you name it, we’ll organize it, plus team off-sites to unite because we’re better together.
- A truly diverse team awaits you. 40% of our workforce identify as women and we come from over 35 nationalities.
Our Commitment to You
Recruiting and developing a diverse range of talent is critical to our growth philosophy. We understand we might need to adapt our process and we’re happy to cater to any reasonable adjustments you may require. Please let the Talent team know if we can help you with the application process in any way and at any stage.
If you want to find out more about us check out our Ultimate Open Culture which will provide a deep dive into life at Ultimate. Here’s our behind-the-scenes social media too: Ultimate Life.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability status. Ultimate prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: Ultimate is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.